Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Woman I Am



I was an only child until I was four years old, and for those four years I was ridiculously spoiled. I think the correct term is spoiled rotten. Pre-school was a rude awakening for me as I was not accustomed to being around other children and the concept of sharing was foreign to me.

I was in K-4 when my mother got a telephone call from my teacher. The subject of their discussion was my selfishness. Her complaint was that I didn't share. Of course, my mother was upset because "selfish" is not a word you want a teacher using to describe your child.

My mother took me home. She sat me down and read a story to me about a little girl who didn't share and she didn't have any friends because of this. My mother asked me if I liked the little girl in the story. I told her no. She asked me why. I told that I didn't like her because she was mean. She then told me that I was acting the same as that little girl and nobody liked me either because I was being mean. Well, I just started to cry because of the thought of nobody liking me was just too much for me. I was cured of my selfishness.

From that day until I graduated from high school no teacher ever had to call my parents for any reason. I was consistently on the honor roll through out elementary school, junior high school and senior high school. I was junior and senior class president. I was co-captain of the basketball team my junior year in high school. I started speaking publicly at 15 and my first speech topic was abstinence. It took a lot of courage, a lot of boldness and a lot of God to get up in front of a group of 200 of my peers and give a message they weren't trying to hear. I had to, though, because my mother taught me to always tell the truth even if it's a truth that doesn't want to be heard.

I have always been a leader. Never a follower. When I make up my mind about something heaven and earth can pass away but I shall not be moved. I am unreasonably stubborn when it comes to God. There is nothing and no one in this world that can separate me from Him. I met Him when I was eight years old, and despite everything I have put Him through He has never left me. I love Him without reason, without limits and without conditions. He is my absolute all in all. I am persistent, hardworking, intelligent and elegantly classy.

I am the woman I am because of the woman my mother is. She has prayed for me every single day of my life. She encourages me. She challenges me. She believes in me when I don't believe in me. She is the most powerful woman of God that I know. I have seen her pray and watched God answer. I remember one time this guy was "stalking" me. I told my mother that I was becoming quite disturbed by this man's behavior. He was scaring me. My mother prayed an unusual prayer. I had never heard anyone pray like this before. She said, "Now you see him. Now you don't. I release him to God in Jesus' name". He lived about three houses down from me so I would see him every day. After my mother prayed I never saw the man again. I don't know if he moved. I don't know what happened to him. All I know is that my mummy prayed for me and God answered.

When I was a teenager I thought she was too hard on me, and we never saw eye to eye. Now that I am older I am so grateful for the fact that she was hard me. Her strictness forced me to have standards. It forced me to never settle for anything or anyone beneath those standards. She has taught me how to pray, how to have faith, how to trust God, how to love a man and how to be a good mother. I love her so much. There are no words that can express what she means to me. I thank God that she is the woman she is because if she wasn't, I wouldn't be the woman I am. I love you Mummy!

3 comments:

  1. This was absolutely beautiful. I am SO proud of you young lady. You have such a beautiful spirit and your love for life and Jesus shines through. You are a mighty woman of God and you represent His love, beauty and purity of heart. I am blessed to know and love you.
    mUahz Mz Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful girl! You are a powerful woman of God and that shines. I pray God continues to Bless all you do.
    Love, Sher

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I was enjoying the childhood stories when you had to go and make me tear up. Gosh Kendy, your words are as powerful as you are. You know I never considered you to be a person who was selfish so I guess when we became classmates you'd already passed that lesson on selfishness. lol. There was a reason you were chosen as our class President. I think everyone saw those leadership characteristics in you. Your Mom is truly amazing. She seems always so quiet and unassuming but behind that quiet demeanor, you can tell she's a woman of God and that shines even more through you. This was beautiful Kendy and everything you said made me value my relationship with my Mother and her life even more. Not often you hear stories as profoud as this. Thanks for sharing; a reminderof the Mother of God I have and how much her prayers have kept me through these years.


    www.eklektikspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete